Disclaimer: I received a pair of Shady Rays Allure Purple Tortoise sunglasses to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
As a BibRave Pro, sometimes I receive really cool running/biking swag to test out. You get to opt-in to a campaign and see if you are chosen. It’s like being Charlie who finds the Golden Ticket in my mind. Pure elation and excitement!
Whenever I see sunglasses campaigns pop up, I immediately count myself out, since I wear regular glasses and need a prescription. I figured I wasn’t even eligible for a non-RX sunglasses campaign. (And I know what you’re thinking: Why not wear contacts and then the non-RX glasses? Nope, I’m way beyond my contact-lens-wearing days.)
But when I saw the Shady Rays Allure campaign pop up on Slack, something told me that I needed to give it a shot! Blindness, be damned! (In all actuality, I feel like I can see well enough with them. I wouldn’t drive or read with them on, but I can do most everything else.)
I was a little shocked when I was picked to try these amazeballs glasses, but I wasn’t going to refuse! A small, black, rectangular box appeared on my doorstep shortly thereafter, and I was immediately in love.
First, they needed to pass the kitten test. You know . . . the kitten-in-sunglasses test? If your kitten looks cool wearing them, then you must. Right?! Oh, you say that’s not a thing?
Moving on . . . the box was kind of nondescript, but it did have a message printed on the side that caught my eye. It said that every pair of Shady Rays sold provides 10 meals to fight hunger in the U.S. through Feeding America. I had no idea, so of course I immediately Googled the organization, and Feeding America is the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. Their mission is all about helping what they call “food insecure” people. I was unaware of the distinction, so of course I looked up the definition. Knowledge is power, people!
“Food insecurity refers to USDA’s measure of lack of access, at times, to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members and limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate foods. Food-insecure households are not necessarily food insecure all the time. Food insecurity may reflect a household’s need to make trade-offs between important basic needs, such as housing or medical bills, and purchasing nutritionally adequate foods.”
I’m so glad that BibRave supports such an organization. I see some food insecure families in my own community, so I’m glad there are organizations out there that I feel good supporting and promoting. (For example, the Angry Almost-First-Grader goes to an elementary school that offers free breakfast and lunch, and I know the community is grateful for it.)
Veering back into sunglasses territory, these Shady Rays Allure offer some phenomenal perks:
- I used to have a pair of RX sunglasses that were fairly bulky. I liked the style, but I feel like they were added weight on hellishly sunny, sweaty days. My Shady Rays Allure sunglasses are light as a feather. Half the time I don’t realize that I’m even wearing them.
- I never got on the ALL-THE-COLORS sunglasses train, so I’m slowly dipping my toes in with these purple lenses. The Angry-Almost-First-Grader loves looking at herself in the reflection, and I love the fact that people can’t really see my eyes. (Am I eye-rolling you? Yes? No? Yes.)
- For someone as clumsy as I am, Shady Rays offers a lifetime craftsmanship warranty and free replacements if you lose or break them. All you pay is shipping and handling. That to me is worth the price of these puppies right there.
- They do not bounce when running or biking! These are gorgeous enough to wear as an everyday pair, but they are durable enough for an active lifestyle.
- They offer RX sunglasses! I can’t wait to get a pair in the near future!
And don’t just take my word for it, see what other BibRavePros are saying:
If you want a pair of your very own, use code BIBRAVE for 50% off 2+ from the Shade Shop here.
Don’t forget to follow Shady Rays on all social: