Disclaimer: I’m promoting the Delaware Marathon Running Festival as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
Welcome to the second-smallest state! You’ll find some awesome places to check out while visiting the First State for the Delaware Marathon Running Festival on Sunday, April 28, 2019.
Top 3 Warm-Up Spots
Before you walk or run one of the many race options as outlined in a recent blog post at the Delaware Marathon Running Festival, you may want to warm up by clocking some miles along our river fronts or state parks. Here are my top three favorite spots:
- Christina Riverfront ~ These 1.3 miles along the riverfront through Tubman-Garrett Riverfront Park are simply gorgeous! I’ve run many a race here, and it’s flat, fast, and offers an amazing view.
- Brandywine Creek State Park ~ You can choose a few distances here, but none will disappoint! The 0.25-mile hike to Hawk Watch for bird watching is interesting! You can choose a 2.9-mile hike, which is steeper, through Tulip Tree Woods Nature Preserve. Or, you can go 9.9 miles on the Woodlawn Trail used by mountain bikers.
- Michael Castle Trail ~ This trail offers 8.7 miles of flat, paved surface along the C&D Canal from Delaware City to the North Summit Marina. I ran it back in 2015 during the C&D Canal Half Marathon. Check out my race recap here! I love running alongside water, and I feel very safe in this area even though it’s remote.
Top 3 Restaurants
It’s also no surprise that I love food and eating! Here are my top three places to nosh before or after the race:
- Mikimotos ~ They have the best sushi and sake in town! I typically get the California Roll, and hubs get the Tiger Roll.
- Grotto Pizza ~ They have the best pizza around! With its signature swirl of tomato sauce, you’ll find Grotto all over Delaware.
- Banks’ Seafood Kitchen ~ This restaurant used to be known as Harry’s, and hubs and I have gone there for birthday and anniversary dinners. I typically get crab cakes, and hubs gravitates toward salmon.
I’d love to hear other suggestions or hidden gems if you have any recommendations too! Feel free to leave a comment!